Washers are bearing and non-bearing structures that are widely used in general mechanical products. They are characterized by low cost, easy installation, and are suitable for parts that are frequently loaded and unloaded.
In particular, the adoption rate of high-reliability products in European and American countries is extremely low, especially the important load-bearing structural connecting components that have been abandoned for many years.
In order to reduce costs when connecting workpieces, many users want to save flat washers or spring washers. In fact, flat washers and spring washers play an indispensable role in the use of bolts.
Flat washers are mainly stamped with iron plates, generally in the shape of flat washers with holes in the middle.
DIN125 Stainless Steel Flat Washers
Flat washers are usually thin pieces of various shapes used to reduce friction, prevent leakage, isolate, and prevent loosening or disperse pressure.
Zinc Plated Flat Washers
Flat washers are mainly used to reduce the pressure from bolts and screws. It is easy to press the gasket into a disk when the axial force in some parts is high. At this point, materials and hardness can be used to solve.
304 Stainless Steel with Extra Flat Washer
The Role of Flat Washers
- Increase the contact area between the screw and the machine.
- Eliminate damage to machine surfaces by spring washers when removing screws. Must be: spring washer – flat washer, flat washer close to machine surface, spring washer between flat washer and nut. Flat washers are used to increase the stress surface of the screw. In order to prevent the screw from loosening, the spring pad plays a certain buffering protection role when it is stressed.
- But flat washers are usually used as supplementary washers or flat pads.
304 Stainless Steel Flat Washer
Due to the material and process limitations of threaded fasteners, the supporting surface of bolts and other fasteners is not large. Therefore, in order to reduce the compressive stress of the pressure-bearing surface and protect the surface of the connected parts, the spring washers are placed between the connecting parts and the connected parts between the nuts and bolts.
In order to prevent the loosening of the connector, the anti-loosening spring washers have many types, round nut stop washers, saddle spring washers, wave spring washers, and conical spring washer are used.
DN127 Stainless Steel Spring Washers
DIN137A Saddle Type Spring Washers
DIN137B Wave Type Spring Washers
Carbon Steel Blackened Spring Washer
The Role of Spring Washers
- The function of the spring washer is that after the nut is tightened, the spring washer gives the nut an elasticity, and the nut is tightened so that it is not easy to fall off. The basic function of the spring is to apply a force to the nut after tightening it, increasing the friction between the nut and the bolt.
- Flat washers are generally used in connectors, one is soft and the other is hard and brittle. Its main function is to increase the contact area, disperse the pressure, and prevent the soft material from being crushed.
304 Stainless Steel Spring Washer
Spring Washer Anti-Loosening Principle
The anti-loosening principle of the spring washer is that after the spring washer is flattened, the spring washer will generate continuous elasticity, so that the threaded connection pair of the nut maintains the friction force, generating a resistance torque, and prevents the nut from loosening. At the same time, the sharp corners at the opening of the spring washer are embedded in the surfaces of the bolt and the joint respectively, preventing the bolt and joint from rotating.
The Washers Material
Generally, 65MN spring steel or 70# carbon steel, 3Cr13, stainless steel SUS304, or SUS316 can also be used. Or other low-carbon steel, such as Q235, Q195, etc.
When to Use A Flat Washer and When to Use A Spring Washer?
- In general, when the load is relatively small and does not bear the vibration load, only flat washers can be used.
- When the load is large and it is subjected to vibration load, a combination of a flat washer and a spring washer must be used.
- Spring washers are basically not used alone but in combination.
It can be seen that flat washers and spring washers are very important in machine connection, which can make the machine used in a safer environment, and are indispensable small parts.
CNC machining and Sheet Metal Fabrication products over 20 years with good quality and very competitive price. Have any questions, welcome to contact us on the below box, our engineer will give you related suggestions for your custom parts.